Dangerous Foodstuffs for Dogs

While dogs are famously indiscriminatory eaters, owners must understand that their nutritional requirements are complex and that certain foodstuffs can actually be dangerous to them. A number of food items humans commonly consume are highly toxic to dogs, so can cause significant illness or death if consumed. It is every pet and working dog owner’s responsibility to keep these foodstuffs away from their animals, and if there is any suspicion they have been consumed be prepared for an emergency trip to the vet.

Chocolate, alcohol, grapes and raisins, avocados, certain nuts (especially macadamias), fruit stones, and the artificial sweetener xylitol are all particularly dangerous and can cause death in dogs when consumed. Early veterinary intervention in the form of inducing vomiting can be an effective treatment, but prevention is far safer and better than an attempted cure. Peanut butter is perhaps a surprisingly dangerous treat. Although enjoyed by many dogs, human consumption peanut butter is often sweetened with xylitol, so has the potential to kill dogs it is given to. Dogs should only be given specially formulated xylitol free canine peanut butter, and this is readily available online or in pet shops.

The danger posed by common household foodstuffs highlights the need for only feeding pet and working dogs specially formulated products. Kitchen scraps often contain potentially dangerous ingredients, and should not be fed to dogs. Instead, raw feeds are a far better and healthier nutritionally complete alternative. To order a sample pack for your pet or working dog, please email woof@rawgeouspetfood.com.